Daniel, Law and Legal Services

Daniel, Law student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to gain practical insight into the industry and maintain motivation in attaining a training contract. Through the scheme, Daniel was matched with an LLB graduate from the University of Exeter who is now an Associate at Norton Rose Fulbright with experience at a variety of firms.

Daniel tells us more about his experience below:

What objectives did you achieve?

Daniel achieved all of his objectives including:

• Increased knowledge of effective application forms in this sector
  • Improved knowledge of further education and professional courses related to this sector
  • Increased knowledge of good and bad aspects of the profession

What were your highlights of the scheme?

I got to visit my mentor’s office. Our first meeting was very frank and motivated me hugely to pursue commercial work experience over the summer in preparation for next year training contract. I found the motivation from my mentor the most useful part of my experience.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

The mentor scheme really helped build my confidence. I was very open with my mentor that I did not have any confidence in getting a training contract. I was focused on whether it was possible or not but he was focused on when it will happen.

My mentor strongly advised me to apply for some commercial work experience opportunities. I was already demotivated since I had spent my second year chasing vacation schemes but I took on his advice and decided I was going to broaden my scope. I applied to local law firms, etc. During my research, I came across from legal work experience in FT. They only take on two students per year. I applied and I got the post. Until I spoke to my mentor I had really believed that there was no need to seek summer experiences by June.

It is hard to believe but I was certain I was not going to get a training contract in my second year. But, thanks to my mentors motivation I ended up with two training contract offers with two City firms. In short, I came in downcast, left feeling like I was in wonderland.