Beatrice, Law and Legal Services

Beatrice, Law student, applied to the Career Mentor Scheme to improve her understanding of the legal sector and the different specialism within it. Through the scheme Beatrice was matched with an English graduate from the University of Exeter who is now a Solicitor at Lexis Nexis, specialising in private clients.

“Incredible for people who wish to learn more about a prospective career path”

Beatrice tells us more about her experience below:

What were your highlights of the scheme?

A particular highlight of mine was when I was talking to my mentor about the joys of the LPC and how best to deal with the pressure and workload – we were definitely able to empathise with each other’s experiences!

What did you find most useful from the mentoring experience?

I found my mentors advice on my training contract applications incredibly helpful. They were able to offer a completely objective viewpoint and help guide me through a very daunting process.

What message would you give to a student thinking of applying for the Career Mentor Scheme?

I’d say don’t let your doubts about time commitments or whether or not you will have anything meaningful to say get the better of you, simply go for it. The mentor scheme is so flexible and incredible for people who wish to learn more about a prospective career path, or indeed find out about alternative employment options.

The mentor scheme has certainly helped build my confidence, help me understand more about the legal profession and the types of work to expect, and to realise that I am capable of much more than I ever thought possible. If I were given the chance to do it all over again I absolutely would!