Kiplagat Kirui Alvin – Behavioural Changes in My Life.

“The mindful program thought me to think positively in my life. I know this program will continue even as we go outside the world especially to our families.”

Read Kiplagat’s original letter

navaisha_sign2

Full letter:

My full names are Kiplagat Kirui Alvin. I have got twenty seven years of age since I was born in Baringo District at a village at kipsaraman, but this time I am in Naivasha main prison serving life sentence since 23rd march 2012 after judgement.

It happened when I kidnapped a school girl in my village. I ignored the rules of government that moment. I looked at myself as if I was right but not yet. So I was caught by the police one day

On Wednesday afternoon in my house. That day was an amused day in my life. I never thought I will be beaten or slapped but it happened and then continued further to police custody then to court. After that I was jailed due to that the witness argued to the court judge to make it real. Actually I suffered angrily with stress all the time inside the prison.

After some days and years. I learned to be counsellor, teacher and barber and even wielding technician after being taught by the same inmates like me who had to focus about their life time as they go outside the prison. Even those who are sentenced life they are still eager inside their hearts that they will go. Even I myself think critically about it especially that inmate who have served more than twenty years is still sure he must go. That is something wonderful even from the eyes of God.

On June 2016 when I was passing inside the prison yard on the way to school. I met an inmate holding papers written mindfulness leadership program without hesitating I told him let me look into it as quickly as possible he gave it to me. I read it and I understood some of them. As soon as possible I asked him a lot of questions concerning the program, that’s when he told me to think positively in life and the way you will be doing. I react and liked it. After being taught, I continues to attend Wednesday learning each and every time to learn more.

The mindful program thought me to think positively in my life to be self-esteem like positive attitude especially the correction of the 5 senses in human beings e.g. Sense of touch, smell, taste, sight and hearing and the things that promote living like good nutrition and stress reduction.

By now I have seen in my changes through visions. What I am participating inside the Naivasha main prison determines what my career and my life would be. The changes I had behind the back is not the same as I am now. To those who knew me by then they will regret why and how but some will congratulate and they will benefit. Like the way to think before reacting to angry people and those who mourn are one of the changes in my life.

Up to yet I am seeing this program of mindfulness has changed as many prisoners inside the prison and even the staff I am saying this because some of the staff officers before the start the mindfulness program they never argued or laughed as they argue with inmates, but now they laugh and talk as if they are relatives. The saying or chorus is that prisoners are people too.

I know this program will continue even as we go outside the world especially to our families

About the mindful program, I was taught how to use a computer through Skype, that was an enjoyable program since my life what I will say is to thank the one who started the program and urge him/her to continue and God will bless another thing is if it is possible to increase more and more mindfulness programs through computer, skype and CDS for watching the unreached people.