Meeting James – Day Three

Last session with James today. I’ve procured an iPad for him. He is rather taken with the book ‘the animator’s survival kit’, which I’d given him on the first day we met. It has an iPad version with the examples animated, so with the iPad set up off we purchased it from the App Store. I also added the free version of the animation studio app Angela had put on her iPad and we had a look at that while the rather large animators survival kit app downloaded. James wasn’t particularly keen on it saying that drawing with his finger is too sloppy, but he picked up the app fairly well. I’ve suggested to his parents that it might be worth getting a cheap stylus for him to try drawing with on the iPad or perhaps just going straight for the apple pencil.
James did another 20 frame sequence on paper and we scanned it in and I got him to import the files in to imovie and make them an animation so I know he knows how to do it. most of the hobby stores and even walmart sell 10″ x 12″ light boxes for $40 – $50 so I mentioned that if drawing on paper remains popular the one of those might be a wise investment.