Simon Ndungu – Mindful Leader

“The worst prison for an individual is their head (mind) and it can be the greatest jail for a person.”

“I have also the capacity to inspire and empower others, by first being willing to dedicate myself to my personal growth and development as a mindful leader.”

navaisha_sign2

Full letter

My names are Simon Gaklio Ndungu, I am 33 years old. I used to reside at Eldorest in Kenya but for now I am in Naivasha maximum prison as a prisoner. I didn’t found myself in prison for my positive doing but because of my negative peer pressure and all that happened to me its because I was unable to have a space to develop myself and I didn’t use everything that happened to me and the capacity to develop myself and others, for I was supposed to move from my comfort zone

It was early 2009 when I found myself in shame instead of fame and that’s when my life changed from grace to gross. At first I joined the negative peer groups of which we used to rob and even to kill in order to life a luxury life. I felt everything was okay but for real it wasn’t sooner than later I became unaware that I cannot change anything until I accept it.

On December 2014 I was transferred from eldoret to Naivasha to suffer death sentence and that’s where I thought my life could and but by gods grace Dr Enma (Imna) from Exeter university initiated project for African prison of which she gave me hope beyond prison life. She made me know many of which I was not aware. Some of it that encouraged me lot is that the worst prison for an individual is their head *mind) and it can be the greatest jail for a person and since mindful class commenced all my life changed and am now fully focused, I have also the capacity to inspire and empower others, by first being willing to dedicate myself to my personal growth and development as a mindful leader.

Anyway in now days am not ambivalence as I used to be and I can able to understand my inner factors in me being able to understand a lot of thing happening inside me that influence the way I am as one (philosopher) leader said  “Be the change you want to see in the world” and that’s why Dr Inma helped me to start changing and having hope in myself and put one foot in front of the other, walk collectively and support each other because the journey is long the terrain is hard but together we will celebrate when we got there

Since that time my life has been transformed and even what influenced my inner factors being able to choose between the positive emotions and the bad or negative emotions. How my body is in terms of health and physical sensations, my behaviour and how my mind works. Also I have a knowhow and how to deal or release emotions and the techniques that can apply when I am in such situations some of them, I may scream I may use the mindful cleansing, I may use yoga laughter even sing it away or dance it out.

Meanwhile the subject has dominated a lot leading me to know how I am supposed to live with others, how good my life is when am fully aware and focused. It helped me to be self-conscience helping me to be self controlled, self disciplined, self awareness and even improve my self reflection last but not least helped me evaluate my inner state in good example to others. Starting from now I behave, what are in my habits, principles and how my character and making me improving in my personalities. Also I used to be confused but as a mindful leader am now attentive leading me to be stable, controlled and efficient able to complete of duty making me to have a happy and health relationship with my fellow inmates abandoning my past behaviors which were caused by peer pressure and am living in the ‘Now’ and am in resilience process in order to make my life more than how it used to be. It is important as a prisoner to live in and act with awareness because jail is not the end, lastly let’s forget the past and embrace in personal development as prisoners in Africa. Finally I can say I am because of Dr Inma and may my God bless her much.