Opening of grant application: 11 January 2017
Deadline for grant application: 5 March 2017
The Sponsors Grant will support qualified scientists to whom only limited means of support are available, e.g. colleagues from economically less privileged countries, young scientists and participants with young children. Participants are encouraged to review the eligibility conditions and guidelines below.
General Conditions and Procedures
Grants will be awarded based on the following conditions and evaluation procedures:
- The applicant shall be the first and presenting author of the accepted paper.
- The paper shall be presented in any track of the conference (oral or poster).
- The SOC will evaluate all requests for financial support strictly following IAU and any other sponsors regulations. All eligible abstracts will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
|How well does this contribution fit into the session it is submitted to?||10%|
|Is this contribution essential for the session being successful?||30%|
|Is the abstract clearly structured and scientifically sound?||25%|
|Are there conclusions and are they supported by data or analysis?||25%|
|How well is the abstract written (grammar & orthography)?||10%|
- Decisions will be communicated to the applicant no later than the 13th April 2017.
- The successful applicant must have registered by the 20th of April 2017 to attend the conference, including booking accommodation at Pennsylvania Court through the registration process.
Please apply only if you have partial or no other source of funding for the conference. To apply, please follow the instructions to sign in/login and
- Fill in all required Delegate Details & Address. If any of the requested delegate information is missing, the grant application will not be considered valid.
- In the Abstract Submission stage, please submit under Abstract 1, the abstract which will be evaluated for the grant application. No other abstracts will be considered for the grant evaluation process. The submission of an additional abstract is optional.
- During the Grant Application process, fill in there the “Job Title” field: e.g. PhD, Post-doc, Prof., researcher, etc. This extra field is required to apply for a grant. Check the corresponding option and provide complementary information accordingly:
Category 1: Early Career Scientists (ECS), in accordance to the definition provided by EGU, who are working in low income, lower-middle-income or upper-middle income economies in accordance to the definition provided by the World Bank.
Category 2: Researchers other than ECS, who work in low income, lower-middle-income or upper-middle income economies in accordance to the definition provided by the World Bank.
Category 3: PhD students or researchers who completed their PhD in the last 2 years by 1 January 2017 and who work in industrialized countries.
Category 4: Participant with young child(ren) and childcare needs, and/or participant with special or additional circumstances (other than those in Category 1-3).
Please estimate the total grant amount to be requested in Euros. For guidance, a grant may include one or more of the following types of support:
|Support type||Price in GBP||Approximate Price in Euros|
|Registration fee waiver (£130 concession resident rate – £10 electronic proceedings not included)||*£120||*€139|
|Accommodation in Pennsylvania Court (£43.90 per night) for up to 6 nights||*£263.40||*€305|
|Subsistence (£12.30 per dinner) for up to 4 dinners in Holland Hall||*£49.20||*€57|
|Travel grant – indicative level of support to help cover travel expenses (including visa costs)||*£210||*€242|
|Childcare support – indicative level of £44.20 per day per child including lunch for up to 5 days||*£221||*€255|
Only the granted amount mentioned in the financial support email will be paid out to the supported contact author. Registration, accommodation, subsistence and childcare support will be handled by the Conference Secretariat directly. The residual (towards travel support), if any, will be remitted to the grantee personally at the start of the Conference or will be obtained directly from a Sponsor in some cases via bank transfer after the event took place. In both cases, the grantee will need to supply original invoices or receipts.