Student Case Study: University of Exeter

Name of Student:  Emma de Saram

Degree Subject:  BA History

Job Title: SCP 5540 Environment & Climate Emergency Education Resources Intern

Company Name:  University of Exeter Climate and Emergency Team

Type of Internship:  Student Campus Partnership (SCP)

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

I interviewed 68 academics, staff and students on the University of Exeter’s engagement with the Sustainable Development Goals and used these interviews to create 19 Vodcasts based on the SDG’s for the University to promote.

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?  

We provided 19 Vodcasts for the University, as well as a report summarising our findings of the University’s progress on each of the Sustainable Development Goals to be presented at the Education Executive meeting, and covering quantitate data, with our recommendations of what can be done next to achieve them and integrate the SDG’s into all aspects of University life.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

My biggest achievement was learning how to create an informative dynamic video for promotional purposes. I managed to interview a broad range of lecturers and staff at the university, and transform this into a video through learning how to use software like iMovie, and working with the guidance of the design team. The result of adapting to this software and way of online working was the creation of the videos.

Skills Learnt: 

• Ability to Work Under Pressure
  • Organisation
  • Leadership
  • Strategic Planning
  • Decision Making

Attributes Developed:

• Logical thinking
  • Creative thinking
  • Independence
  • Work Ethic
  • Professionalism

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“This internship has been without doubt one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. I was able to channel both my climate activism, creativity and organisational skills into creating 19 Vodcasts with the Climate and Emergency Team and my colleague, who is now one of my good friends! I learnt a huge amount from interviewing leading academics, and finding out about student projects. Although the internship was hard work, it all paid off, especially in the last week where we really saw our output come to life in the form of our first produced video.”