Economist Intern – Ofcom

calculator-calculation-insurance-finance-53621

What were your main roles and responsibilities during the course of your internship?

During my internship I assisted with the  Wholesale Local Access Charge Control project,  and spectrum policy.  Working on this project involved collating data and other source material for analysis. I was also responsible for writing a section of the internal economist newsletter created by current graduates. Whilst on my internship I also engaged in networking events and introductory talks.

I got the opportunity to engage in two different projects and gained sound background knowledge in a section of what Ofcom does. Also, it was great to see some of the concepts that I learnt from university used in practice.

I was happy that my manager and other colleagues gave me recognition that I contributed in a positive way and helped to lighten their workload.

Did you encounter any problems during the course of your internship and if so, how did you overcome them?

At first I had problems absorbing the amount of background information on the projects and encountered many technical acronyms that I have not heard of before. This required a bit more patience – studying and figuring things out by myself – but also asking questions.