Student Case Study: The University of Exeter

Name of Student: Zoe King

Degree Subject: Psychology

Job Title: Student as Change Agent Intern 

Company Name: The University of Exeter 

Description of Organisation:  

The Strategic Support Team at the university have 3 opportunities for Students as Change Agents (SACA) Interns.  This is the University’s pathway for empowering students to actively improve the university experience for themselves and their peers via leadership and participation in a series of impactful change projects. The internships provide term-time projects on themes that are at the heart of the student experience. These include promoting community and engagement, the university’s approach to student communication and improving academic support.  

This role was part of the Student Campus Partnership (SCP) scheme, based in a local team in Exeter. 

Type of Internship:  

Student Campus Partnership (SCP) | Employer Engagement & Student Employment | University of Exeter  

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship? 

My key responsibilities were gathering information on and developing tips on how students can utilise feedback. Also, I had to attend weekly meetings with supervisors. I provided a resource on helping students utilise feedback for Study Zone Digital from a Student Perspective. 

What was your biggest achievement on your internship? 

I gathered information from students and developed tips on how to utilise feedback. Then I produced a 900-word blog and an infographic to advertise the blog on how to utilise feedback from a student’s perspective. 

Were there any challenges and how did you overcome these?  

I made a poster with a link to a survey asking how students use feedback, but I was not allowed to put it up around campus as it did not follow the university branding guidelines, so I had to think of new ways to gather information. Instead, I sent out messages and ask people in person about feedback and managed to gather more than enough information. 

Skills Learnt:  

• Communication  
  • Teamwork and Collaboration  
  • Problem Solving 
  • Organisation 
  • Time and Workload Management 
  • Strategic Planning 
  • Focus on Goals and Outcomes 
  • IT 
  • Decision Making 
  • Researching 

Attributes Developed: 

• Commercial Awareness  
  • Confidence 
  • Initiative 
  • Motivation 
  • Personal Awareness 
  • Creative thinking 
  • Independence 
  • Work Ethic 
  • Professionalism 

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector? 

From the beginning I was given a clear outline and a briefing sheet from my friendly supervisors on what was expected of me. I was given the option of making a blog/video/infographic but the beginning I wanted to do a blog as I enjoy writing, so I made a timeline of what needed to be done to help me plan and began gathering information from students so I could write the blog. I thoroughly enjoyed the 5 weeks, especially doing the blog and designing the infographic as the feedback was really positive when my supervisors read it. I would definitely work for the university again as I felt supported and empowered to take initiative.