Name of Student: Alec Stevens
Degree Subject: BA/BSC Geography – Cornwall
Job Title: Graduate Planner
Company Name: Asbri Planning
Type of Internship: Access to Internships (A2I)
Description of Company: Asbri Planning is a planning and development consultancy, which has offices based in Cardiff and Swansea. We work in the development industry with the main aim to see our clients obtain planning consent for development. At Asbri Planning, we pride ourselves on offering honest and forthright planning advice and we only promote projects that we are confident will result in a successful planning outcome. Central to our approach are the client’s business needs and commercial objectives.
What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?
Research of planning policy and procedure of relevant planning acts and regulations in relation to potential developments; completing initial planning applications for potential developments; aid in the completion of site appraisals and design and access statements and to observe and make relevant minutes for offsite meetings.
What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?
I delivered several design and access statements where I documented information for the client and relevant governing bodies such as Powys County Council. I was also involved with pre-applications and appraisals where the viability of proposed developments were investigated.
What was your biggest achievement on your internship?
Completing a full design and access statement individually.
- Situation – Client (Powys County Council) needs a design and access statement which includes all relevant information and debate over a proposed development in LLanidloes.
- Task – Complete the full DAS for the client in time bound conditions.
- Actions – Acquiring the relevant data and information from a variety of sources and then compiling an attractive document that is also effective for all parties involved.
- Results – The DAS was officially confirmed and sent to the client and the governing body and will be accepted subject to pre-commencement conditions.
What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?
In hindsight I felt as though I was reluctant to ask questions during office hours due to the intensity of the office environment. All of my colleagues were busy at almost all times and I felt questions would have hindered or slowed their progress on other jobs. In the future I will most definitely address this by not being afraid to interrupt others if its for the overall benefit of the company I am working for.
- Time and Work Load Management
- Strategic Planning
- Ability to work under pressure
Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?
“My internship was career specific and enjoyable and thus given me that extra boost of motivation going into my third year to continue on my current path to achieve what I want out of my career. I would thoroughly recommend any student going into a career specific internship as it gives you experience that just is not acquirable in the University Library.”