Student Case Study: Exeter Communities Together

Name of Student: Jian Zhang Poon 

Degree Subject: Bsc Management and Marketing WIE

Job Title:  Project Coordinator Intern 

Company Name: Exeter Communities Together 

Description of Organisation:  

Exeter Communities Together (ECT) represents the coming together of a partnership of seven grassroots organisations, many of which have been run on a voluntary basis by community members, with the overarching aim of enabling Black, Asian and minority ethnic residents in Exeter to have a voice and increased visibility in the wider community.  

ECT will contribute to improving the health and well-being of ethnic minority communities and society as a whole by developing, as a partnership, shared knowledge and understanding, building sympathy and reducing fear between Black, Asian and minority ethnic communities and the indigenous population and reducing social isolation. 

A key objective for ECT is to improve health and well-being for the City as a whole and to spread this benefit more widely in Devon. In this we are supported by Exeter City Council and Devon County Council. 

Type of Internship:   

Student Campus Partnership (SCP) | Employer Engagement & Student Employment | University of Exeter  

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship? 

My key duties and responsibilities were designing posters, emailing partners, organising events, and doing minutes in board meetings. 

What was your biggest achievement on your internship? 

My biggest achievement was holding 5 events with over 100 attendees, and increasing social media platforms following. 

Were there any challenges and how did you overcome these?  

The biggest challenge for me was working for a very small company so my role held more responsibility. 

Skills Learnt:  

• Communication 
  • Teamwork and Collaboration 
  • Organisation 
  • Strategic Planning 
  • IT 
  • Networking 
  • Assessing and Managing Risk 

Attributes Developed: 

• Confidence 
  • Initiative 
  • Perseverance 
  • Creative Thinking 
  • Cultural Awareness 
  • Personal Awareness 

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector? 

“Working for my first internship in the UK was a valuable experience; I learned a lot about how to actually put my marketing knowledge to use while learning how to work in a professional environment and for a non-profit. It was challenging as I was in charge of the whole marketing side of the company as my superior was on maternity leave. However, I got to learn and design marketing materials really quickly after knowing what each partner wanted specifically. I have gained knowledge from fellow interns as well as my boss and have learnt a lot from this experience.”