Student Case Study: Bitpod

Name of Student:  Alicia Shelford 

Degree Subject: BSC Management with Marketing WIE

Job Title:  Marketing Intern (Social Media)

Company Name: Bitpod

Type of Internship:   Access to Internships (A2I), Student Business Partnerships (SBPs)

Description of Company: We’re an award-winning video marketing company based in Exeter. We get excited about helping clients to grow their businesses by capturing what makes them unique. The Bitpod approach is based on taking the time to understand your aims before deciding on the best way to achieve them. That’s why we’ve built lasting relationships with many of our clients. With a background in marketing and web development, we’re always thinking about how video fits into the bigger picture of your marketing strategy.

What were your key duties and responsibilities during your internship?

– Presenting an 8 part informative video series for social media distribution, educating prospective clients on how to make video content.

– Writing and editing scripts for each video, and generating animation and graphic ideas to be implemented in editi           

What outputs and outcomes did you deliver for your employer?

Outputs – 8 part video series currently in post-production ready to be released to social media channels to drive new client engagement.

What was your biggest achievement on your internship?

Having never managed a project from idea to completion, this internship gave me the chance to have complete ownership and accountability over the product and its outcome. I was tasked with writing the script for each video idea based on an initial briefing with my manager, and from there I generated the animations and gestures to be incorporated during filming. This meant that I had the freedom to be creative with the way in which the message was delivered, and as a result each video was successfully filmed and delivered on time each week, and with the creative flare that was needed in order to engage with the audience.

What did not go so well on your internship? How did you overcome any challenges?

Having never been particularly strong with writing, especially to an audience, it was difficult to understand who the audience was and what tone of voice would work best when trying to talk directly to them. It was often out of my comfort zone to think about an audience that I was not directly familiar with. It was also difficult to time manage, as so much had to be done in one day – having a briefing, then writing and editing a script, and then filming the actual footage. However with the help of my team with idea generation and second eye to look over what was written, we were able to successfully achieve all that we needed to in the allocated time frames.

Skills Learnt 

• Problem Solving
  • Teamwork and Collaboration
  • Leadership
  • Focus on goals and outcomes
  • Ability to work under pressure

Attributes Developed 

• Researching
  • Creative thinking
  • Independence
  • Logical thinking
  • Motivation

Your message to other students considering a similar job role, organisation or sector?

“Overall a really great experience that allowed me to try something new and develop existing skills. I was able to meet like-minded and passionate people who taught me valuable skills and will be connections for my future career. I was offered an extension on my internship which I took up and thoroughly enjoyed.”